Sunday, May 06, 2007

there's always something...

I have half a FO to show you. It's my first Sea Wool sock, the Uptown Boot Sock pattern from this awesome book, and I love it. It's beautiful. The stitch pattern is lovely, the yarn is luminous. It feels nice on my foot. I love this sock.



What's the problem, I'm sure you're wondering. Wait, why are the needles still attached to the toe? Why haven't you expertly kitchener zipped the toe up yet? Wait a sec... that's an awfully small yarn cake sitting on that beautiful sock... what the... Just look at that yarn-eating, gluttonous sock.


I'm SO not sure I have enough for sock 2. I started with 115 grams. I have an imprecise kitchen scale that says I have around 55 grams in that yarn cake. For those of us who are not math experts, that's not half. It's close, but it's not half. But the scale is not all that accurate, so I'm still hoping for a little miracle.

Tomorrow I'm off to the grocery store self-serve check out, where I will surreptitiously weigh the little yarn cake that remains. If I don't have at least 57.5 grams, my plan is to pop in for a Lettuce Knit visit next weekend, hoping against hope to find a matching skein. It would be worth it. If they don't, I have contemplated picking out the cuff and making it a wee bit shorter. Gak. I don't really want to do that.
Send me good vibes for a nice fat yarn cake, will ya? It would be so much easier that way...

6 Comments:

At 7:41 p.m., Blogger Jen said...

So? Did the vibes make it to you?

{fingers crossed that the grocery store scale revealed that you have more than enough yarn in that cake for another sock}

Jen

 
At 9:08 p.m., Blogger Andrea said...

I feel scared for you. What yarn are you using?
It's always hard to tell though - your yarn might be packed in pretty tight at the centre of the ball.
Sock looks great.

 
At 10:58 p.m., Blogger Heather said...

The anticipation is killing me! Will there be enough? Or won't there? Gah!!!

 
At 7:35 a.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

I've got everything crossed for you!

 
At 11:03 a.m., Blogger Jenny Massey said...

Oooh Sea Wool. Something that I so want to try. You'll have to let me know the brand. My hubby may actually buy it for me and I have a friend that SOOO wants some.

((((Envy, Envy, Envy))))

The socks look marvelous - GOOD LUCK.

 
At 11:17 a.m., Blogger eyeknit said...

The other good place to weigh yarn is at Bed, Bath and Beyond. They have a display of kitchen scales with batteries, and you can obsessively weigh your yarn cake on several of these. Next time, wind what looks like about half of the yarn (without cutting)before you start knitting the first sock, then weigh both balls at BB&B. You can hand-wind whichever is lighter, until they weigh the same. I used to do this, until I got smart and used a BB&B coupon to buy my own!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home