Monday, December 04, 2006

Not everyone gets a Richard

My father died when I was a kid. About five years later my mom began dating a man named Richard. Fifteen years later, they are still dating (yep, still dating… movies on weekends, dinners out, fun trips here and there), and we are all better for it.

Richard is a great guy: soft-spoken, somewhat gruff, easy-going, animal-loving, able to fix just about anything, make just about anything, and generally knowledgeable in that daddish way. Here he is at the cottage this summer, just about to release the baby duck he rescued. (Ducky’s brothers and sisters were beating him up some; Richard chased them away, then caught the little runt, fed him up and set him free. Yes, seriously. Incidentally, this is not unusual behaviour for Richard).


The best thing about Richard is the relationship we have. He’s not my dad and he’s never tried to be, although I know he loves me like family, and I think he knows I feel the same. But because of this, he’s never treated me like a kid or tried to tell me what to do. I never feel judged or criticized around him. We just have this mutual respect for one another, and it’s really easy to just relax and be myself. We spent a couple of weeks at his cottage together this summer, just co-existing, sharing meals, sharing wine, hanging out.

He’s utterly supportive of me and my whole musician thing, and he’s also pretty encouraging of the knitterly thing. The first year I was a knitter Richard went into the LYS near him and asked what a new knitter my age might be interested in. They found him a kit, and it fell into my stocking that Christmas. Not just any guy would do that…

I knit him a scarf 2 Christmases ago, but didn’t quite make it (ah, the Christmas knitting)… I wrapped up the scarflet, the needles, and the ball of yarn, made him unwrap it, then took it back. He didn’t get it until the following October, but when he did, you’d think I’d made him a GOLDEN scarf. I know he really treasures it, and he only wears it "for good", joking about building it a display case for safe storage…

When I found this swift pattern online, can you guess who I called? I e-mailed the link right away, with a plea for "Santa’s workshop" to have a look and see what he thought. If it wouldn't take too much time, if it wouldn't cost too much... Well, I called the right person.

Lookie lookie at what I have now:



It’s FABULOUS. It’s better than that. I think they call it a swift, because it makes the whole ball-winding job so very much faster. I am saved from future episodes with the not-so-swift! Why didn’t anyone tell me I needed one of these before?!?! It works so well, perfectly balanced, spinning so smoothly. I can’t wait to wind the next ball… and I have Richard to thank.



Just about everybody gets a mom, and most people get a dad, if only just for a while, but not everyone gets a Richard.

17 Comments:

At 12:49 a.m., Blogger Allegra said...

What a nice post. I really enjoyed reading this.

 
At 2:27 a.m., Blogger Jeanne said...

Your Richard is priceless. You and your Mom are lucky to have him. Merry Christmas.

 
At 3:31 a.m., Blogger Robin said...

What a great post! Your swift is fabulous, but even more so when the person who made it is so special to you!

 
At 10:00 a.m., Blogger Lisa said...

Beautiful swift from a wonderful not-Dad. It sounds like you have a very special relationship indeed.

 
At 12:49 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW!!!!! What a wonderful tribute to a very special man.

 
At 2:30 p.m., Blogger Heather said...

Yay, Richard!!

 
At 4:37 p.m., Blogger BrownPants said...

Yay for Richard! Is he available for loan? I have a leaky roof and I could use a swift! I can tempt him with knitted gifts! Seriously though, that's really lovely. It sounds like a really great relationship you two have :)

 
At 10:20 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

Your Richard sounds great!

When you posted the link for that swift I contacted my own "Santa's Workshop" (aka "Dad") and he promptly replied that he was on it and was it ok if he shipped it to me in pieces to save on postage. Gotta love him!

 
At 5:20 p.m., Blogger Violiknit said...

What a beautiful swift, and what a nice guy! You're so lucky!

 
At 3:50 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard rocks. And your post is making me all weepy...

My husband offered to make me a ballwinder out of Legos. Ummm, nice thought, but dude, they make Legos to intentionally come apart ;-)

 
At 10:31 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're a lucky woman, chica. I was lucky , too, though in my case I got a Jim. He stuck around for 42 years, and passed away 3 years ago. We still miss him so much. Thanks for a lovely post.

 
At 11:44 a.m., Blogger Bezzie said...

Aw, what a great post, and what a great guy!

 
At 12:25 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely story. You're lucky to have a Richard!

 
At 1:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah for Yarnival - Sweetie has been asking me what I want for christmas - I printed off those instructions and he'll get them tonight. Great "article" - you're right not everybody has a Richard - I count myself lucky to have a "Doug"!! thanks for sharing.

 
At 2:21 p.m., Blogger Dorothy said...

Richard sounds like a gem. Everyone should get to have one of him for Christmas.

 
At 4:22 p.m., Blogger Nik said...

I have thoroughly enjoyed reading about Richard. I'm glad you have him. Really.

 
At 6:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a beautiful post, and a stunningly soothing swift. This is such a lovely and gracious telling of your relationship with him.

Congratulations on Yarnival!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home