Wednesday, November 15, 2006

the not-so-swift (and another FO)

Greetings sportsfans. (I too believe knitting to be a sport... ask the Harlot)

Necessity, they say, is the mother of invention.

Here's the equation for my personal, homemade "not-so-swift".

spinning desk chair + 2(super size squishy pillow) + (extra x patience) =


2 yummy yarn cakes

Malabrigo, Paris Night colourway (smoky blues-purples), destined for a Christmas scarf





The good news is that a wonderful someone who is talented in the wood-arts is currently making me a swift using this pattern, and this is likely the last time I'll have to do something stupid to wind yarn. (watch for the "Ode to Richard" post once I get it!!!)

In further (mis)adventures, I give you my first short-row knitting project, a multi-directional scarf for the ever-expanding Christmas Pile. Misadventures? The pattern itself is simple and quick, but I still managed to get into some trouble. TWO near mishaps, actually.

1. I only bought 2 skeins of Kureyon for this task. One skein in, I knew I needed either a) to admit defeat, frog back and start a narrower scarf (NEVER!) or b) to come up with something else. I went with option b. I knew I'd think of something. I got lucky at Mouline on the Harlot trip to Montreal. I was hoping just to find another skein of 185-any-dye-lot-will-do, but wouldn't you know it, they even had the same dye lot I had purchased in Kingston. I also had a teeny tiny credit card accident at Mouline, but I'll get to that another day...




2. And while we're talking teeny-tiny, please take a moment to notice the teeny-tiny tail of red wool I left on the end for your viewing pleasure. That's how close I came to NOT ENOUGH YARN! In the last few rows I was contemplating options, trying to convince myself that "intentional" assymetry would be novel (yeah right). In the end, I'm happy it worked out and I didn't have to stretch my creativity any farther than the not-so-swift today.

Next up: variation on Grumperina's Shifting Sands with the freshly wound Malabrigo. Wheeeeee!

14 Comments:

At 7:58 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your invention! It's great! And your FO - beautiful colors!

 
At 9:38 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the creative swift. Where there is wool there is a way. Congrats on the Harlot encounter. What a rush. Please share in your blog where you got that t-shirt, "got guage"

 
At 10:02 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The not-so-swift. Dude, that totally describes my knee-and-thumb winding experience, but your invention might actually work :-)

It was so cool to meet you in Montréal, and I hope you'll come back!

 
At 11:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The scarf looks awesome. After having seen it while in progress at the Harlot, I loved the colors, but the FO looks fantastic! What a score to have gotten the same dyelot at Mouline.

Hope to see you in Montreal again soon!!

 
At 11:34 a.m., Blogger Heather said...

Dude! You're on the Harlot's website!!

 
At 12:26 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful scarf! I just finished a similar scarf and had a similar problem, was contemplating how it will look with one end as a very pointy triangle, oh well,,, I chose the first ending (not symmetrical in the pattern (in case I'll have to have aunigue cut off ending) but ended up with enough yarn to finish in the pattern way.

 
At 3:03 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

I love your makeshift swift. You are a genius. Now I wish I hadn't thrown that old desk chair away.

Were you hyperventilating there at the end? My LYS carries SCADS of Noro if you ever run low again, let me know.

 
At 5:46 p.m., Blogger BrownPants said...

Lovely!

 
At 9:09 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I finished up a multidirectional a while back with the exact same amount of yarn left over! There's that awesome feeling of relief as you bind off that last stitch and you know you had just enough. The tricky part now is having enough to thread the needle to weave the end in.

 
At 2:41 p.m., Blogger Lisa said...

That is one lovely scarf - that bit woulda had me sweating too! And congrats on your appearance chez la Harlot!

 
At 3:53 p.m., Blogger Knitting Magic Girl said...

I love that swift pattern! My grandfather made me one and I have used that thing to death. Only cost five bucks too, which was even better!

 
At 10:15 p.m., Blogger Violiknit said...

That scarf is totally gorgeous (wow! seriously, that's all the yarn you had left???), and your improvised swift is genius!

 
At 3:47 a.m., Blogger Jeanne said...

Too funny! I wish I'd seen this the other night when I realized that having a ball winder is not enough. I briefly considered using my computer chair, then though, "naaahhhhh... that wouldn't work, would it?"

It worked for you! Maybe I'll save my $$... LOL!

 
At 2:52 p.m., Blogger Jeanne said...

(Cross-commented at Knitty Banter): Miss Ewe, thank you for the suggestion that was left on my blog! I'm pretty handy. I might just try this!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home