Friday, November 03, 2006

this, that, and the other...

First THIS.

Another FO for the Christmas pile!!! She's on fire! A self-proclaimed "slow knitter", lately I feel like the goddess of speed, the princess of presto... here's the official kitty hat, minus ears. (I guess that makes it less official.)

The only other modification was to adjust placement of the earflaps to reflect where I think my brothers ears are. At least, they are roughly placed where MY ears are, and since I like to believe we are both about average in terms of ear placement, I hope they will be in the right spots. Yarn is worsted Malabrigo in lime-blue. This was my first Malabrigo experience, and I love it. LOVE IT. There's lots left from this, too. I'll have to go flirt with a postal clerk to do a weigh in (heehee). Anyway if you have never knitted with this stuff, get thee to a yarn store and start a stash.

Which brings me to THAT.

Stash versus Hoard. Thank you all for your comments. G, it was in jest that I used the word "violated", I always knew you were speaking in good humour. And I only published your complete message so that the knitting community could see the friendly tone in which the whole discussion was raised! I would never reproduce a truly personal e-mail on a blog (or anywhere else), and I hope you were not offended by that.

So, back to the issue at hand. I think I can compromise on "Cache". I like that. Sonically, there's a harshness to the word "hoard" (and indeed, until one clips off the D at the end, it sounds incredibly ugly!!!). I like the soft happy shhhsshshhh sounds in stash and cache. I can also get on board with "reserves". Agree to disagree, perhaps?

And finally OTHER.

I was trying to play it all cool and stuff, but did anyone else notice that the Yarn Harlot actually commented on my blog a few days back????? Pretty exciting for me. This came after she even replied to one of my comments! And yes, I realize she's just a person like any of us, but I'm sure you would agree she's a pretty special person, and my personal knitting inspiration, and so on, and so on, so it was still pretty exciting. Makes me think I should try to come up with more witty and interesting things to say, because one never knows when the Harlot is watching. (that sounds a little 1984, doesn't it...) (hey, was that sort of witty and/or interesting???)

In any case, Stephanie, if you happen to be reading again, unfortunately I can't get out of my work obligations on the day of your Kingston visit. It's a rehearsal, and any contracted classical musician can tell you, you must be (practically) bleeding from the head in three places to legitimately escape a rehearsal. But if you're thirsty afterwards, I know some great establishments at which to knit/drink...

And still a little more OTHER.

I'm off to the big city (Toronto) this weekend for some gigging, and most especially to take 2 very good friends -- a brand new about-to-be knitter and a fairly new knitter -- to mecca. Very exciting. I need a new road project, so I'm going to cast on for Norovember with a multi-directional scarf with that Kureyon from a few days ago. This is a Star Trek knit for me (to boldly knit where I have never knit before); I just have to find some instructions...

Have good weekends!

4 Comments:

At 9:14 p.m., Blogger Jen said...

That hat is gorgeous!!! I'm looking forward to seeing it on Monday.

Have a fantastic weekend -
Jen

P.S. I went into Wool-Tyme today to buy a set of DPNs, and came out with...the DPNs. That's it. Granted, I was in a hurry, but seriously, what the hell is wrong with me?!? I missed a great opportunity to enhance my cache!

 
At 8:21 p.m., Blogger Lisa said...

miss ewe - I would personally be doing small backflips too...she's coming to Ottawa too and I won't be there either. Its a mere 10 blocks from work and yet I cannot do it. I am having a minor pout and might have even had a bit of a temper tantrum...just maybe.

jen - its okay to go to a huge wool store and not buy anything except what you went in for. Just understand that the consequences may be dire the NEXT time you go in. Make a pact with yourself now..."I will not spend twice what I should this time to make up for not buying last time." Wash rinse repeat. It likely won't work, but its worth a try.

 
At 2:12 p.m., Blogger Heather said...

I like the idea of calling my yarn stash a hoard...it justifies me looking at it and saying 'my precciiiiouuusssssss....'

 
At 1:52 p.m., Blogger Violiknit said...

Beautiful hat! I love how it looks on that teddy bear. Congrats on the visit from the Harlot; that's totally cool! Have fun gigging!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home