Wednesday, November 22, 2006

catching up

It's been a little while since I've posted, and since then I've been on an excursion to Toronto. Lettuce Knit, Romni...

Here's some worsted baby alpaca for a Christmas present (cowl pattern yet to be invented), in a colour that is near indescribable. It's about as dark a green as you can have before you're forced to call it brown. Gorgeous, rich, and incredibly soft. Then there's some DB Cashmerino Aran for Fetching (yes, I am on that bandwagon). But they're kind of a yarn test drive for knitting The Sweater That Must Be Mine. Which is Cardigan for Arwen. It is beautiful, it is exactly my style (well, slightly longer), and I must have it.

Also pictured, my bouquet of new tools. 2 sets of dpns, 2 new circs, and a few large-sized bent-tip sewing up needles. They're all for something specific, all in sizes I've not used before. There's something exciting about new needles.

You know, I've knit lots of kids sweaters, but never a full-sized grown-up sweater. And I have never knit myself a sweater. (Actually, Clapotis is the first seriously nice thing I've ever made for myself). But friends, I am about to embark on a serious, self-indulgent wave of selfish knitting. After this Christmas thing is over, I'm going to make Fetching, I'm going to make Shedir, and I'm going to make Cardi for Kate (Arwen). All for me!!! Mwah-ha-ha-ha!!!

In current generous gift-knitting news, the Paris Night scarf is knitting along nicely. I'm really enjoying this knit. Everything from using shorter straight needles (which is new for me), to the squishiness of the Malabrigo, using the birch cable needle from my secret pal (even though Grumperina wants us to do it without), and the ease of the cable pattern, even though I've never really cabled before either. It's all good.


PS: Gobble, gobble... happy Thanksgiving to all you folks south of 49.

5 Comments:

At 2:44 p.m., Blogger Carol said...

Bring on the "selfish knitting". Sometimes I think we are too community minded. What's wrong with kntting for yourself??? Not that there's anything wrong with knitting for others either, it's just, well, you know....you spend all that time and give it away! So bring on the selfish knitting!

 
At 7:18 a.m., Blogger Jen said...

Gorgeous! And I'm with carol - bring on the selfish knitting!
Jen

 
At 10:05 a.m., Blogger Lisa said...

I'm all for the selfish knitting too! I'm also all about rolling around naked in piles of Misty Alpaca lace weight...any colour really. Have fun...and your Paris scarf is lovely!

 
At 11:13 a.m., Blogger Violiknit said...

I love how the Paris Night is looking on the Shifting Sands. Congrats on the new yarn and tools!

 
At 1:58 a.m., Blogger BrownPants said...

Yay for selfish knitting! You deserve it! And I love the knitterly shopping :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home