Saturday, November 11, 2006

we meet at last...

Yep, I drove to Montreal for Harlot mayhem, and I'm SO glad I did. What a fun day!

Stephanie is hilarious. HILARIOUS. I could not stop laughing, particularly when she discussed tactics to explain your stash away to someone who has unsuspectingly discovered it. When I last moved, I indeed had to explain some of the mysterious large boxes that didn't seem to weigh enough. "That's bedding", and "Oh, I have a lot of socks", with a silent "I just haven't knit them yet".

And Stephanie, you are immensely cool. Completely.

Here is a fuzzy picture of the Yarn Harlot taking a fuzzy picture of us.

And here is THE shawl. It's truly incredible.


Then I got to hold the sock and say hello... very exciting stuff! To say I'm thrilled that Stephanie Pearl-McPhee knew who I am would be an understatement. By a lot.


I have to say, the Knitters of Montreal are lovely people. I met someone called Maayke upon arrival at the Bookstore Cafe, and we were quickly joined by another, who made a little "knitters?" gesture with her fingers from across the room, then came right over. She introduced herself as Kate (of course, I said "me too"). Then she said "is that a clapotis?", gesturing to mine. I nodded, and she revealed her true superhero identity as Kate Gilbert. Kate Gilbert of the Clapotis. I think I said something truly brainless like "seriously?", "get over yourself", or some other such witticism. I am Kate, queen of all dorks.

I managed to get over my shyness later... and asked Kate to hold my clapotis for blogdom.


The whole event had such a nice atmosphere. Before Stephanie even arrived, there was this happy clicking anticipation of the fun, and knitters pinching each others FOs all over the room. It was kind of strange-cool to meet some people that I read all the time, as though they're actually real people (They are...). Lee Ann was there, and I met a whole bunch of Montreal Knits members. Thank you to Melanie, Deawn, Molly-Ann, Danica, Mary, Shaun, Alison, and everybody else... for adopting me when I turned around and said "I know I don't know any of you, but does anyone want to go for dinner?"

It's just a nice reminder that wherever you end up in the world, just find the knitters and everything will be okay.

ETA: got gauge? T-shirt was ordered from Cafe Press online. Man, they have some fun stuff!

15 Comments:

At 2:55 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

Wow! That sounds like a super fantastic time. Montreal is such a cool place. I used to go a lot when DH was going to McGill but haven't been in a few years now. I miss it.

If I recall, you once offered to 'door' Stephanie. She was probably on the lookout for you.

 
At 5:36 p.m., Blogger Allegra said...

Wow, what a great time you had! I saw the Harlot back in July or August and I was shocked that she knew who I was too!! And HOW cool to meet Kate Gilbert with your Clapotis in hand!

 
At 8:07 p.m., Blogger Andrea said...

Sounds like a good time. Kate Gilbert!

 
At 9:44 p.m., Blogger Jen said...

Man, I wish I could have gone with you. I wish I could have gone in Kingston. Stupid school!

Okay, enough about me. Awesome, awesome post - I'm really happy for you. I'm looking forward to hearing all about it!

Jen

 
At 9:13 a.m., Blogger Deb said...

Awesome!!!!! Such a lucky girl-Harlot AND Kate Gilbert!Do you think we have to put some sort of insignia that we put on our knitting bags for sightings of famous knitters?? (Like you could put pictures of 2 skeins of yarn for actually sighting AND talking to famous knitters) And if they knew you back, they get to be bright red or something. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Glad the trek to Montreal was worth the trip! But Rachel Stewart tells me that you had to get up early on Saturday for a rehearsal or something??? Yeah-small worlds.

 
At 4:12 p.m., Blogger Heather said...

Wow...that's quite the brush with knitting celebrity fame!

 
At 9:35 p.m., Blogger BrownPants said...

That sounds like fantastic fun! Now that you 'in' with the yarn harlot can you tell her to come to Australia? Thanks ;)!

 
At 10:48 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm Robyn. I was sitting 1 seat over from you (8 months pregnant, knitting a green tube for the woven trellis scarf!) Anyhow, I was wondering where you got your GOT GAUGE? shirt. Also - it was nice meeting you. I had to go out of town after the Harlot spoke, so I got my books signed, and had to run. Looks like I missed out on some good times. Email me at graphicdesignchick@hotmail.com for access to my blog!

 
At 11:06 p.m., Blogger deawn said...

Kate, it was delightful meeting you, and I hope you return to Montreal soon to knit and/or eat with us again! (I'm also relieved to know you made it home okay).

And for those who are interested, Miss Ewe is a very skilled driver with an abnormally clean car.

Okay, ciao!

 
At 5:38 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

What great pictures! I'm so jealous you got to meet Stephanie!!! Looks like you had a great time!!

 
At 10:01 a.m., Blogger Lisa said...

Kate -- look at how beautiful you are!! lol...it's nice to see you finally (the little postage stamp wasn't doing you justice). Glad you had such a great time in Montreal...it is a wonderful city and I miss living there sometimes.

P.S. Had a lovely time in Kingston but very very short! My friend is asking me to go in January -- hopefully for longer so maybe we'll have a chance to knit-it-up then.

 
At 1:52 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

Look at you hitting the big time! I saw your picture over at the Harlot's place. You gonna have more hits than you can count after this.

 
At 8:55 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I'm totally geeking out -- surprise, I came from the Harlot's blog, and I saw your shirt -- got gauge? -- and I have GOT to know where you got it.

/taking a breath.

 
At 11:05 p.m., Blogger Carol said...

Oooh I'm soooo jealous! I was so upset that I had to work on the day she came to town. Unfortunately I couldn't call in sick either..dang it!

 
At 2:14 p.m., Blogger Unknown said...

Really sorry i missed your visit to Montreal. I was in Chicago While the Harlot was here in our fair city.

Glad my fellow Montreal Knits! folk had a chance to meet you & have some knit-fun.

Your Gauntlets will be Marvellous in rowan's Calmer. bravo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home