Saturday, October 28, 2006

in which there is a FO and a new technique


I give you Wavy!

A super-speedy knit for the likes of me, she was completed in under 2 weeks, and she is
L-O-N-G! (about 6 feet)

I used almost 4 whole balls of Noro Kureyon in 92 which, despite its name, is a cheerful, happy kind of colourway, perfect for its intended recipient. Yes, I will be giving this away. But I think I'll test drive it first... then wash, fold, and know that I'm sending someone a nice Christmas prezzie.

And speaking of Christmas prezzies, who wouldn't love a hat made out of Malabrigo worsted? In lime-blue? And made from the Official Kitty hat pattern (minus the ears... the intended recipient would not want the ears. Or the pompoms.)

I totally ripped this idea off from Jared's hat parade last year over at Brooklyn Tweed. But it's a good one.

And a new technique for me... well, this comes from the obsessive tendencies of an impatient "instant gratification is too slow" kind of knitter. I wanted to start my hat immediately. Last night. A Friday night. The LYS was already closed, and of course, I did not have the correct sized needle. A size 7 (that's 4.5mm), 16" circular, plus a set of dpns. Optimistically, I headed over to Michaels with my weekly 40% off coupon (do they really think they're making any money with those???). They did not have what I needed. They did, however, have 2 29" size 7 circs. So I bought them, intent that I could teach myself the "magic loop" technique, or whatever. I could, and I did, and I have about 1/2" of hat, so far.

Sorry for the crap-tastic pics. It's grey and rainy and depressing around here today. But here it is so far. (Argh. Blogger behaving badly. You'll just have to believe me. I'll post it tomorrow when it's bigger.)

PS: Patty - you can TOTALLY handle the wavy. It's simple. Get yourself a row counter, and write out the pattern in full (none of this "as row 5" junk). In fact, I can e-mail you a copy if you'd like it.

PPS: For anyone else who loves Noro, Minxknits had a good idea: NORO-vember! This is a KAL I can get on board with!

3 Comments:

At 10:17 p.m., Blogger BrownPants said...

Noro-vember? Love it! There's nothing quite like the colours of Noro. Not that i've found yeet anyway :) The scarf is great!

 
At 10:27 p.m., Blogger Heather said...

Ooh! Very nice scarf! That's fantastic!

 
At 1:56 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

I'm killing myself laughing at your "despite its name" line.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home