Thursday, October 19, 2006

Handknits mean someone loves you.

I want to show you guys something:

This is a giant Paddington Bear sweater that my mom knit for me several years ago.
It’s enormous, warm and bulky, it weighs a ton, has a hood, and it’s absolutely adorable, and mom knit every stitch for me. I wear it mostly around the apartment when it’s cold, and now that I’m a knitter too, I know just how much work and care went into it. (look closely at the little brown tag: Please look after this bear.)

Handknits mean someone loves you. It’s one of the reasons I gift-knit. How often do we knit for someone we don’t really feel strongly about, right?
Okay, there was that one scarf, that one time, for that one not-quite-mother-in-law, but it was only to try to make her like me. I realized later that NOTHING could have made that B!+@# come around(!), but still, I tried with a handknit. Come to think of it, I guess I *did* feel strongly about her. Just not GOOD strongly.

Conclusion, handknits (generally) mean someone loves you. Love you too, mom.

5 Comments:

At 1:58 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

Go your mom! There's some serious love in that one (you know how I feel about intarsia). You owe her big time, you know that right?

 
At 1:59 p.m., Blogger Lisa said...

That is beyond amazing! I look at that and all I can think of is all the sewing in of ends when it was finished...and the sewing up...and miles and miles of endless red stocking stitch.

You are so right...that's definitely love all knit into one spot.

Oh...and if you have mixed feelings about someone you knit them something on a loom (insert evil grin).

 
At 10:18 p.m., Blogger Heather said...

Wow...that is one awesome sweater!

 
At 3:53 a.m., Blogger BrownPants said...

Oh that tag is gorgeous!

 
At 10:39 a.m., Blogger Patty said...

That sweater is way cool! I love it - it looks so cozy!

How is Wavy going? You've inspired me to use that pattern for a mohair mix that I bought this summer. Is it a difficult pattern? Can I cope?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home