Tuesday, August 22, 2006

knit karma

Was out of town on a gig last weekend, and met another musician knitting. She learned to knit around Christmas, and was, in fact, doing quite well on her first ever garment with shaping (a baby sweater). When I found her at the back of the rehearsal hall, however, she had just gotten frustrated. She was perplexed by the unintended holes being created by the addition of a button band. Ah, picking up stitches. Her sister had shown her how, but somewhere there had been a breakdown.

I hate picking up stitches. Especially when there are lots of them, and even more especially if they are around a collar or other non-straight line. But because of my disdain, I have gotten good help in figuring it out, and I have mastered the pick-up-stitch. I demonstrated, I coached, I explained. I watched, I guided, I cheered. By the end of the evening she had finished both bands on her own, quite successfully, and was confident in her new skill. She was even anxious to run back to her sister and demonstrate "a better way to do it". (Apologies to said sister if your method was merely misunderstood.)

One thing I have enjoyed as a knitter is the general willingness of 0ther knitters to offer help, suggestions, advice, and generally share, as only rare groups are found to do. I have taught a few people knit or purl in passing, which is always great, but more often I have benefitted from someone else's wisdom. It was really fun for me to appear just as help was required, and be able to put back into the knitters' karma pool. Even better, the next day we sat chatting for an hour or two, just knitting away together before the performance.

I'm off to the cottage again, and taking only Clappy and the Shrug. I hope to bring one back finished. Cross your fingers for me. Think my karma "deserves" a FO?!

5 Comments:

At 7:53 a.m., Blogger Samantha said...

Have a great time at the cottage. Its nice to be able to help out fellow knitters, isn't it?

 
At 2:02 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

Good for you for helping her out. You were likely the difference between her thowing it down in disgust and never knitting again and becoming as addicted as we are. Kudos! Our plan to rule the world continues....

P.S. Thanks for the kid entertainment suggestions. I might have to invest in a potato head (paint with water could be disasterous right yet though - she has a thing for water...splashing and such)

 
At 9:09 a.m., Blogger Jen said...

Very cool story! Any chance you can help me out with the same technique? ;)

Have a great time at the cottage - I hope we can get together again soon.

Jen

 
At 7:26 p.m., Blogger Deb said...

So- when can we get knitting together again? Remember- I am back to work now!

 
At 12:20 a.m., Blogger Sanders said...

Knitters are the best!

I think part of the reason knitters are so willing to share is that we'll have one more person to talk about knitting with everytime we show someone how to knit! And so that we can take over the world!

love the clapotis... it's going to be beautiful!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home