Tuesday, May 30, 2006

accidents of a fibrous nature...

I'm here, I'm here. I've been away, I'm having computer problems (I'm at a public internet terminal), boy problems, and it's stinking hot, and I've been grumpy as all hell. So I went shopping. More than once...

Let's see... in order, I believe Victoria happened first. I went to the Beehive Wool Shop in downtown Victoria at the recommendation of my Secret Pal spoiler. I had some high pressure work stuff in town, so my head wasn't all together and I didn't buy much. But it's an amazing little shop, chock-full of beautiful yarns. Lots of Fleece Artist. And a super mohair wall. I found them a wee bit expensive, and I went in kind of sock-obsessed (their sock yarn selection was so-so), so nothing really jumped off the shelf at me, but I picked up something for my secret pal spoilee, something for my mom, and some needles I needed to work on a project I brought incomplete supplies for. (whoops!)

After returning to the Toronto area (staying in Burlington), I needed a cheer-up fix. Mom and I drove to Ancaster, to the Needle Emporium. Oh wow, go to this shop if you possibly can. I never knew it was there... My fibre accident really began here, when I just couldn't put down the lovely, soft, touchable, it's-attached-to-my-hand skein of Mountain Colors Bearfoot. This stuff was Really. Rather. Expensive. But I was like one of those toddlers you see in a toy store. It was in my hand and it was unquestionably coming home with me. End of discussion. Tears will fall and screaming will ensue if you try to take this out of my hot little hands. It followed me home, I swear.

Allow me a moment to go on about this stuff. I keep touching it, simply because it makes me happy to do so. Is that so wrong??? It's called "obsidian". I looked it up on dictionary.com: (n) A usually black or banded, hard volcanic glass that displays shiny, curved surfaces when fractured and is formed by rapid cooling of lava. It's a good name for the color. It's 60% superwash, 25% mohair, 15% nylon, and 100% can't wait to get it on my feet. Get yourself some of this.

Also picked up more Rowan Kidsilk Haze in Majestic for an open-work scarf. Along with socks, I want to start experimenting in lace, so a repetitive pattern thing might be a good start, and RWK is dreamy to knit with. (*If anyone knows of a simple lacy sampler kind of pattern, let me know. Otherwise I'll make something up.)

Also got Nancy Bush's Knitting on the Road, and the Fibre Trends Pacific Northwest Shawl pattern. Nearly picked up some Donegal Tweed for the Sunrise Circle Jacket, but felt I ought to spread out the joy a little bit so I don't go broke all at once. Save that one for fall.

Then on the drive from Burlington to Kingston, more accidents of a fibrous nature. I braved Toronto traffic during the TTC strike to stop at Lettuce Knit. I love Lettuce Knit. I picked up 3 skeins of merino joy that I have been fingering an awful lot in the last 24 hours, but since some of this is secret-pal bound, I will leave it at that...

It's not even over yet. On my way home, I stopped at my LYS to pick up the Fibre Trends Hedgehog pattern that I'd ordered. And of course, sock yarn doesn't count, right??? So there may have been a small Lana Grossa accident in turquoise tweed. And some sock needles, because obviously I can't use up the sock stash if I don't have the appropriate tools. Obviously.

So there we have it. I'm not sure it's "cheaper than therapy" anymore, but it sure made me happy. And it could have been a lot worse. Actually I showed great restraint. Right???

I have to go home now and knit.

3 Comments:

At 7:35 p.m., Blogger Andrea said...

Let's put things in perspective - you could be spending your money on crack or hard alcohal but you're not.
I'm curious about this hedgehog pattern. Sounds like you had a good yarn buying binge. I'm coming off one of those.

 
At 9:30 p.m., Blogger Rhonda said...

Glad you liked the Needle Emporium. I've been knitting for Julie for about 20 years now. I get to play with alot of that yarn. It's one of the best ways to feed my obsession.

 
At 1:15 p.m., Blogger Lisa said...

If I can add to the perspective thing...its all going to turn into good stuff...its productive and therefore contributes to a sense of accomplishment. Which leads to good self esteem. And knitting is very good for your blood pressure while knitting with inadequate yarn and poor supplies is not.

So really - self-esteem and a healthy body are priceless right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home