Tuesday, May 16, 2006

BBQ! knitting?

I love barbeque season. I love the char, the smell, the sauces, the possibilities. I don't have a barbeque (I have a balcony), but I manage to find friends who do, and who are willing to allow me to come over and 'que with them. But tonight I developed a whole new respect for the possibilities of barbeque tools.

Tonight a met a woman knitting socks on bamboo skewers. She buys the package of 100 for $2 or so, cuts them down to the lengths she wants, then files and sands the tips to her desired "sharpness" (how 'bout that, Grumperina?!). She seeks them out in Canadian Tire, Loblaws, wherever, and even finds various "sizes". If they happen to break, she simply files herself some more. She had 3 (amazing, btw) socks on the go, and the least expensive sock needles you can imagine. And I suppose when the socks are done, you can always cook shrimp.

Now, I'm not sure I'm going to run right out and jump on the bbq bandwagon, but it *is* really rather resourceful. Go Gladys Go!

In other news, expect a FO soon! I started a set of silk sleeves from One Skein tonight, and I need them for a birthday present Saturday night... wish me godspeed. Rowan Kidsilk Haze is heaven, but it's like knitting with cobweb. Still, I'm nearly half through the first, so there's hope.

3 Comments:

At 10:54 a.m., Blogger Zarzuela said...

That is just hilarious! Very resourceful for sure. If I did socks on double points I'd probably seriously consider it!

Jessica

 
At 12:29 p.m., Blogger Lisa said...

That's brilliant...but I'd worry about splinters? Not to mention that I'm totally the laziest person ever and the idea of cutting and filing the needles down myself (vs. opening the package and starting right away) seems like WAY too much work. How sad IS that?

BTW...I didn't really like Knitting Vintage Socks (got it from the library) but I did really like Socks Socks Socks...Haven't seen Knitting on the Road.

 
At 12:36 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

Yep, resourceful. But I bet she's bought enough skewers by now to have paid for several really nice sets of DPNs. I'd totally do it in an emergency though (if there is any such thing as a knitting emergency).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home