Friday, May 19, 2006

my Secret Pal rocks!!!

This is so exciting. It was a fabulous day. Even the mail-carrier was in a good mood when he came to my door this morning. Actually, I had a really rough night (with about 2.5 hours of sleep... personal life stuff going on), and was feeling really awful when BZZZZZZZZZ. My apartment buzzer. At that hour of the day, it can ONLY be the parcel delivery guy so I dashed to the door and:

I was completely overwhelmed. A beautiful box of beautiful things, all of which I might just as well have chosen myself, because they are EXACTLY what I love.

Dear Secret Pal... or should I say Heather! (from the return address --I'm so glad you have a name now!)
Wow. Wow, wow, wow. I'm am utterly blown away. Your fantastic, amazing, beautiful package just came and I am overwhelmed. It's wonderful. It's perfect. All of it!
The Trekking is as wonderful as people say. The way the colors are plied together like that is fabulous. The colors you selected, it's actually like you were looking into my dresser thinking, hmm... what sort of socks would look best with this girl's wardrobe??? And the sock pattern is such a thoughtful touch, knowing how I am about to gently (yet enthusiastically) approach socks in a few weeks. Your offer of a Kitchener stitch video-tutorial is also amazing (I'll keep you posted!), as was the fleecy-photo on which your note was written. (did you take that? where was it?)
The northern Californian "sustainably harvested domestic birch hardwood" cable needles are absolutely lovely. I had been coveting something similar, and I'm sure they will inspire me (I hope!) to get back at that forlorn cable scarf, begun so long ago.
The Fleece Artist... well, I've scarcely laid eyes on Fleece Artist in these parts, let alone had it in my hands, in my house, and MINE to knit with! It's lovely, and I'll have to select the perfect project for the lovely pinks and purples -- again, such amazing color selection.
The Alpaca Cloud... I don't even know what to say about the alpaca cloud. I love the feel of alpaca, and it's my absolute favorite color. It's a dream to touch, and I don't know how I can possibly knit something worthy of such gorgeous lace weight. Maybe I'll just cuddle it for a while and dream of a pattern I can handle.
Like the dilligent new blogger I am, I took photos which I will publish on my blog as soon as my computer woes clear up some, along with the bulk of this note. (Ed: turns out that my borrowed computer talks to my digital camera without a lot of fuss!)
Thank you for being so generous and so thoughtful. And thanks for the great e-mails we've been exchanging as well. There's something so affirmative about this whole secret pal thing that makes me really happy. People just decide to care about each other from across the country, fill in a questionnaire and treat each other as special people, and random strangers start to become friends. I do feel really special to be included in this, and to have been paired with such a great "pal".
Thank you, thank you, thank you again. You've made my day so much brighter!
big hugs,
Kate

6 Comments:

At 11:31 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you liked it!!

- Heather the semi-secret pal

 
At 9:33 a.m., Blogger Heather said...

Ooooh, you are a lucky, lucky girl! That Fleece Artist is GORGEOUS! :D

-an entirely different Heather ;)

 
At 12:59 p.m., Blogger Tammy said...

What a great package. Happy to hear your having a good time with only a week into SP8.
Your SP8 hostess, Tammy

 
At 4:43 p.m., Blogger Shadkitty said...

That's so beautiful! I hope my SP8 pal loves my gifts as much as you loved yours. :) Secret Pal is the most awesome thing ever.

 
At 6:14 a.m., Blogger Andrea said...

Trekking is fabulous. I'm using the blue right now.

Just reading through your archieves - what do you think of "One Skein" and "Knitting Rules"?

 
At 1:55 p.m., Blogger stacyo said...

ohmygod. I better get spoiling. my secretpal needs some goodies!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home