Tuesday, March 13, 2007

start your engines (and a FO)

It's my March Break and I'm going on a yarn crawl. I started today, heading for Rose Haven with my lovely knitty girls, (blogless) Emma and (tentative blogger) Jen (go and encourage her).








I felt I had to pace myself, because I am going on a YARN CRAWL, so I bought only 2 skeins of Koigu KPPPM in a chocolatey mix, but I will save photos of that for when there is decent light to be found. I believe Emma "won" in the most-purchases competition, but it was a fun day.



As for the shop, there was a decent collection of Koigu, though not nearly as impressive as Needles and Pins in London. A nice collection of the new Louisa Harding (most of which I had not seen yet, so it was nice to fondle), and lots of nice local alpaca. I will say that as someone who considers herself an independent shopper, I was not given a lot of space to do so, which never impresses me.



I almost forgot... this happy little fellow was hanging on the building across from the yarn store. After a good long shop, we were a little peckish and went in search of nourishment. Upon closer inspection, we realized this logo (hot dog on buddha belly) was for a restaurant called "Buddha Dog". Ahem. We opted for the cafe next door. But you've gotta love the logo.


As for the FO... may I present my THIRD pair of socks. Third time's a charm. I put them on my feet, and I think I may have purred. I didn't know it could be like this...



They are the Rib and Cable Socks from Interweave Fall 2005. (I'm overly proud of myself for going into the archives and finding a pattern.) Made with Mountain Colours Bearfoot, in Obsidian. As I have said many times these last two weeks, if you've never had this yarn, GET SOME. It's absolutely lovely, 25% mohair, 60% wool, 15% nylon, 100% happy. The hand-dying is gorgeous, every stitch made me happy, and the wound ball was a lovely surprise, much brighter than the dark-looking skein.


Pattern modifications (oh yes, I'm already modifying my socks!): I knit an extra cable repeat in the leg, because I like a taller sock. Also a few less heel flap rows because it was starting to seem too big (good choice). And, when I knit for too long on the foot before decreasing the toe I decided to can a few straight knit rows in the toe part so it wouldn't be too long. They fit my feet perfectly.


I'm sorry I can't get better pictures... I tried for detail, but there's only so far away I can get from my own feet, and the light in this apartment is abysmal at the best of times. Anyway, I love them, and they are my fastest socks yet. (13 days for the pair, less a DST hour, but who's counting?)




More YARN CRAWL updates as they are available... I'm Toronto-bound tomorrow! Have a great week (I know I will!!!)


Also, not too late to enter my FREE YARN GIVEAWAY... until midnight Friday!

7 Comments:

At 7:11 a.m., Blogger Andrea said...

Those cable rib socks were my third pair too!

You've clearly become sock obsessed. Welcome to the dark side! (And be careful at Lettuce Knit - way too much beautiful sock yarn).

 
At 7:45 a.m., Blogger BrownPants said...

oooh, lovely sockies!

 
At 9:39 a.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

Bring the socks on Friday....I will bring the new camera and take uber close-ups of the socks for your enjoyment (or desktop, or wallet....whatever).

 
At 10:06 a.m., Blogger Allegra said...

Again, great socks! Man I have a pair of socks I was supposed to finish (for a swap) A MONTH ago and still am not finished....maybe I should send them to you to finish??
Look forward to seeing more pics of the yarn crawl.

 
At 10:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you remember waay back when Jim Carrey was on "In Living Color"? He used to do a characted called Fire Marshall Bill and I think I'm channeling him in this picture.

 
At 1:19 p.m., Blogger Alison said...

We can only hope they're serving tofu weiners at the Buddha Dog.

 
At 6:46 p.m., Blogger Violiknit said...

Those socks are divine! I did as you suggested and got myself a skein of bearfoot- I can't wait to knit with it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home