Tuesday, February 27, 2007

a match made in heaven

Nothing makes your day like a FO.



It's a sunny day, there's the sense that spring may one day come, and I have a new pair of socks. No second sock syndrome here!!!

These ones fit much better than the first pair, more details here if you're interested. Fraternal twins, but I never made any effort at matching the stripes. I'm just not that kind of girl.

Thanks for all your concerned comments about my car accident. My back has been pretty sore, but mostly it's just a big hassle to deal with an insurance claim, estimates, repair shops... and so on. Perfect addition to an already busy life.

Now... more socks. Must knit more socks. I have caught the sock bug (as evidenced by the purchase of Sensational Knitted Socks AND Knitting Vintage Socks in the same week. And I already own Knitting on the Road). Does anyone have any suggestions for deciding how to pair sock yarns and patterns? (self-striping, random variegated colours, solids, etc). I have a whack of fabulous sock yarn, but I'm a bit skittish about knowing what kinds of patterns will work well with what.

7 Comments:

At 4:37 p.m., Blogger Allegra said...

once again, great socks! you really have caught the bug, haven't you?!?! when it comes to sock yarns and patterns, (this might sound hokey) but I basically let the yarn speak to me. hokey, right?

 
At 5:24 p.m., Blogger Carol said...

I am far from a sock expert, but from what i've seen, lace lloks better in solid or almost-solid colours. Variegated is better for those patterns where there is movement in the pattern (like Jaywalkers)

 
At 5:24 p.m., Blogger Andrea said...

I like to google a sock pattern to see what others have done with it. Also, you can get an idea from other people's pics if using a varigated yarn is going to obscure a detailed pattern or not.

My rule of thumb though is the more detailed the pattern, the less detailed the yarn. I like to keep things simple with handpainted yarns.

 
At 5:33 p.m., Blogger Liz said...

Yo, nice FO!

:)

 
At 6:40 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

I get downright OCD about which pattern to use with which sock yarn. Generally, I second Carol's views. Keep the lacy stuff in solids or near-solids. Anything that pools (like LL) needs something like Jaywalker or Feather and Fan (what, no copy of "Socks, Socks, Socks"?) and self-striping is for plain socks. Either way, I'm ready to riiiiiip if it gets wonky so don't get committed to early (probably a good life lesson too...hee, hee).

 
At 1:53 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

ME TOO! I've just learned how to knit simple socks on two circular needles and I'm hooked. Right now I'm using sock yarn from knitpicks, do you have any suggestions for more yummy sock yarn?

 
At 10:50 p.m., Blogger BrownPants said...

oooh, lovely! Grey and red are great together!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home