Saturday, February 10, 2007

I came, I saw, I thrummed

Thrummm, thruh-thrum thrum.
Thrummm, thruh-thrum thrum THRUMMMMM!


My LYS had a free thrum demo today, basically a come-play-with-roving-we'll-explain-it thing. Never one to pass on a new knitting technique, I grabbed a friend (go and encourage her!) and headed up there.


Well... thrumming. I think it's safe to say it qualifies as "overly fiddly", and therefore goes fairly low on my list of stuff to do. But I was glad I got a chance to try. That purl-into-the-back locking stitch is a pesty thing to do, and it seems clear that thrumming should only be done (whenever possible) in the round, so that one can KNIT into the back to lock. Somewhat more reasonable thing to do over and over again.


Here are the pics... I intentially tried a few different things to see what would happen (different amounts of roving, finger-rolled roving) and twice I managed to catch the wrong part of the roving while locking... in the top right thrum, I tried to see if I could invent a way to fix it on the fly. I couldn't.


Sorry for the dark images. The light has been sucky in my apartment for days. In any case, this
knitter gives only one squishy mitten thumb up for thrumming. Overly fiddly for the given result. I'm going to save my little sample to use as an eye patch. Very practical, no?

In other knitting, I have had very little knitting time this week, and as a result am a grumpy, high strung individual. I am about to take a few hours now to set things right. I'm hoping to have a partner for sock the third sometime soon.


In other news: I am going to be a quasi-Aunt again in August! Baby knits, coming soon!!!

4 Comments:

At 6:38 p.m., Blogger Carol said...

Oh no! Baby knits! Quick, pleasing cute knits! Whatever shall we do??

 
At 7:10 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great colors!

 
At 11:08 a.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

Thrumming is not typically over fiddly. Maybe you should a) try it in the round (it would be a pain in the butt back and forth) b) prep your thrums ahead of time and just grab 'em as you need 'em. I can't have you thinking that traditional Newfoundland techniques are low on your list....that won't do.

 
At 11:44 a.m., Blogger Violiknit said...

I love your eye patch. (Maybe it could double as a cold-weather chinrest cover?) Your post reminded me that I have 2 Fleece Artist Thrum Mittens kits in my stash...I feel guilty...
Congrats on being a quasi-Aunt! Can't wait to see your baby knits!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home