Sunday, February 04, 2007

I'm late on this... oh well

Did everyone hear about this? The second annual Brigid in Cyberspace (Silent) Poetry Reading.
I did actually think about it on the feast of Brigid (Groundhog Day), however I was seduced by a sock and just didn't get to it...

I leave you with e.e. cummings:

somewhere i have never travelled, gladly beyond
any experience, your eyes have their silence:
in your most frail gesture are things which enclose me,
or which i cannot touch because they are too near

your slightest look easily will unclose me
though i have closed myself as fingers,
you open always petal by petal myself as Spring opens
(touching skilfully, mysteriously) her first rose

or if your wish be to close me, i and
my life will shut very beautifully, suddenly,
as when hte heart of this flower imagines
the snow carefully everywhere descending;

nothing which we are to perceive in this world equals
the power of your intense fragility: whose texture
compels me with the colour of its countries,
rendering death and forever with each breathing

(i do not know what it is about you that closes
and opens; only something in me understands
the voice of your eyes is deeper than all roses)
nobody, not even the rain, has such small hands


and a little more e.e. cummings... this one, as Kate suggests, should definitely be read in the manner of that scene in Sylvia (faster! faster!):

love is more thicker than forget
more thinner than recall
more seldom than a wave is wet
more frequent than to fail

it is most mad and moonly
and less it shall unbe
than all the sea which only
is deeper than the sea

love is less always than to win
less never than alive
less bigger than the least begin
less littler than forgive

itis most sane and sunly
and more it cannot die
than all the sky which only
is higher than the sky

And given my recent relations with knitted socks, Pablo Neruda's "Ode to my Socks", which I send you here to read.

2 Comments:

At 4:59 p.m., Blogger Kate A. said...

Oh, thank you for the e. e. cummings! I was thinking of posting something of his, too, but I couldn't choose just one, so I went for my other favorite, the Hopkins. I like your solution of just posting two poems, as well. :-)

 
At 9:49 p.m., Blogger deborahoak said...

oh, thank you! e.e. cummings! perfect! the amount of poetry is amazing me...also the fantastic sites like yours I'm seeing for the first time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home