Sunday, January 14, 2007

I never...

Did you ever play that game "I never..."? A drinking game where people took turns making statements starting with "I never" -- "I never made out in the back of a car", "I never cheated on a boyfriend"-- and everyone who HAD done that thing had to take a drink. (grammatically, I believe it should be called "I'VE never", however, after you've admitted to a few things and had a few drinks, I'm not sure it matters...)

Well, the startitis broke out for me in January, and I decided that if we knitters ever played a game of I never, I would die of thirst. So here are all my new starts...

I never plan knit-gifts very far in advance.

This is a my-so-called-scarf in Manos del Uruguay, for a friend's birthday -- IN MARCH!

I never knit for myself.

This is a bolero-tie-type sweater (scroll down, it's orange), free pattern from Lettuce Knit, with purchase of the one skein of Alchemy Promise required to make it. I've been calling the sticky soft ball of mohair "my kitten". People think I'm weird.

I never knit lace. Ever.

Swallowtail Shawl, Misti Alpaca, pattern copied so charts may be attached to magnetic board. It's not as difficult as I imagined it would be, though I must talk to myself during each RS row, but so far so good. During the photo session I managed to drop the last 10 stitches off the end of the needle while spreading it out. Then I managed to pick them all up without losing too much oxygen. I will be switching to a circular needle during my next lace session.

And best of all:
I never knit myself a sweater.
I never knit/read anything by Elizabeth Zimmerman.
I never turned a hem.
I never hid a happy secret colour inside a sweater.
I never felt like such a goddess of all things knitting.


Patons Classic Wool, mostly from the stash. I will be doing sleeves in that burgundy colour, either saddle-shoulder or the seamless hybrid. I LOVE the way the hem thing works. I love that I am figuring this out on my own, and with a little help from my friends. (Thanks to Jared, Alison, and the infamous Rams for guidance, and to Richard who gave me this book for Christmas!)

I've also gone crawling back to a long abandoned project, but I'll cover that next time...

5 Comments:

At 6:17 p.m., Blogger Allegra said...

Wow! Lots of great projects!

 
At 8:27 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lots of ambitious stuff there! You've inspired me to re-read my EZ, and I'm with you on the Paton's Classic. Love it!

 
At 1:07 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

Glug, glug, glug....hic!

I think I'm too drunk to leave a comment because I've done most of that stuff. What? I wasn't supposed to really play?!

 
At 9:06 p.m., Blogger Violiknit said...

Wow, what great stuff you've got OTN! I've never played that game either...good thing, too. ;)

 
At 8:28 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful game....can't wait to introduce it to my knitting group.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home