Monday, June 19, 2006

knitting for me.

I'm still thinking about Stephanie's post today. I commented, but it didn't quite cover it.

She's talking about the comparitive, competitive aspect of human nature. Despite the fact that we know yoga, knitting, whatever, is for ourself, there's this aspect of comparison. How we do, compared to the next gal. Even in my career as a musician, there is always that sideways glance at a new face -- how's that one doing over there? And then there's the aspect of marketing: of COURSE I'm better at whatever you need than anyone else you might consider.

The trouble is, if it's all a competition, I'd better just pack it up and go hide in my stash-box. (actually, that might be fun). I am shamefully without new photos in blogdom, because I have nothing new to show you. I am knitting the same stinking project I was knitting 3 months ago. (granted, I've knit --or partially knit-- three other things since then... I have KADD). It's all ribbed 3x3, all the time, and it's not getting any bigger, despite my best attempts.

Then I look at other blogs... how do these people make such progress? Honest to Alpaca, I cannot believe how fast Grumperina knits. One day you see photos of yarn, three days later there's a picture of a sweater with the 1400 modifications she had to make to the lousy pattern. It actually frightens me a bit. You quick-knit gals know who you are.

Am I a slow knitter? Or do they have less to do in a day than I seem to? Or should it just not matter? See, here's the comparisons again!

Well, nobody skirts a yarn diet like miss ewe. Here, for your viewing pleasure, are my recent acquisitions from Lettuce Knit. Everyone knows sock yarn (not even the purpley goodness of this Trekking) doesn't count, plus TWO Go Knit pouches (everyone should have at least 2 of these... they are fabulous, and I am already knitting more since I got them). And a Rogue Hooded Pullover pattern, which I could not imagine not owning. I thought I held back pretty well. Please note sleeve 2 of Turtleneck shrug peeking seductively out of Go Knit pouch 1.

Encouragement encouraged.



PS: you're also a better photographer than I am. Blogger disliked my photo so much it refused to upload. I'll try again later. Still trying, over and over, days later. Still not working. Grumble.

3 Comments:

At 9:55 a.m., Blogger Zarzuela said...

That's part of the reason I've gotten so frustrated with music. It isn't about the music anymore, it's about who is better than who too many times. Very discouraging.

By the way, where did you get that Summer of Socks button?? Too cute!!

Jessica

 
At 12:13 p.m., Blogger miss ewe said...

I made the button myself... she just kind of agreed with my sense of summer, AND my sense of sock. Feel free to steal it. (Just don't steal my bandwidth or however you call it!)

 
At 9:09 a.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

The speedy knitters out there can be discouraging, can't they? They always seem to have so much to talk about on their blogs (and I think I envy them that more than their obvious superior talents).

We're slow but we're having a good time, right?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home