Monday, July 10, 2006

not to do with knitting

Love.
It's what everyone professes to strive for, yet it is completely underestimated when professed or discussed. Is it possible that two strangers could barely meet, and yet venture to love? That remains to be seen, but the way the mere prospect is practically scorned is disheartening. Have we really grown so cynical? Has real Love become the dark horse, the outside chance? Or worse, a myth -- nothing but a figment, a fabrication, like the unicorn, the leprechaun, or some other unknowable creature.
Instead of embracing the prospect, love is brushed away as insubstantial. Using derogatory terms like fluffy, sappy, some look upon love as trivial, silly, even ridiculous.
Well, I still choose to believe. There is love out there somewhere, for me even, and surely something so abstract and wonderful may develop in the most unique way. I am open to possibility. Am I alone here?

4 Comments:

At 11:40 a.m., Blogger Lisa said...

You're not alone...just check the books at your local grocery store. I think that trivializing love is a sad defense mechanism of the hurt and disheartened.

Sounds like you are recovering...

 
At 12:35 a.m., Blogger Tara said...

absolutely not! I had a whole "do-people-fall-in-love-or-is-it-all-a-movie-ploy" thing when younger and then (years later) I did. I do. totally. Keep yourself open, but not blind and you'll see (ooo, sorry about the pun, it really is unintentional)

 
At 2:11 p.m., Blogger K2 Knits said...

I'm currently reading Marge Piercy's book "He, She, and It". It's fantastic, intelligent sci-fi. I'm only halfway through, but so far it seems to focus on the question of whether or not a machine can love, and what love actually is as a human emotion. All in all some very interesting ideas.

I tend to think that we trivialize love because of the pain it can cause. We think that if it is trivial so too will the resultant pain be. Sadly that's just not the case. In my experience love and pain are equally powerful emotional sensations and somehow pain seems to last longer.

Sidebar: I'm a fellow knitter who found you through the Yarn Harlot's blog. Thanks for the brain candy! :)
Kate of knititblack.blogspot.com

 
At 7:36 a.m., Blogger Elysbeth said...

As with all things, be careful what you wish for. I went through the whole "love as marketing thing" for a couple of decades and then Whammo! And yes, I KNEW when I first saw him. A little voice in the head (not schizophrenia) said "Stay away from him, he'll change your life." I didn't and he did. Since that time I have run into other women who met and happily married their mates later in life and they all report "knowing from the first". Good luck and much love.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home