Saturday, April 14, 2007

hellbent for cashmere (and other tales of an Easter weekend)

It's true, I left for the GTA hellbent for cashmere... it was a priority. But first things first...

As you may recall, when we last left my mom, she had started a sock. She had clear instructions for cuff and leg, and we were waiting until I returned at Easter to flap, turn, pick up, decrease, foot, and toe... how did she do? Well, Mom put the speed on, since she had a live sock tutorial -- I arrived Thursday night, we flapped and turned... next morning, pick-up and decrease. Weekend? Foot, foot, foot... here's the decrease, and.... by Monday morning as I was pulling out of there, we kitchener-stitched the toe and presto:



One happy mom with one happy sock.

Then the following conversation:

Me: You're going to start the next one right away, right?
Mom: I'm going to get my taxes organized first then...
Me: NO! No, no, no! Cast on the next one NOW. Right now. Go. Cast on and knit at least a few rounds of ribbing.

I delayed my departure to make sure we wouldn't end up with any SSS virus in the family. It was close, but we're good...

Friday morning, I awoke to snow on the ground. (WTF? I'm so over this winter thing, but that's another story. Stupid groundhog.) It did, however, allow us to see that the Easter bunny had indeed visited, passing across my mom's driveway.




Saturday I headed for Romni, hellbent for cashmere. (I think if bikers can be hellbent for leather, knitters can be hellbent for cashmere). I received a big ol' gift certificate for Romni at Christmas and had been saving it for a need-to-have moment. I have been coveting two skeins of Handmaiden 8-ply Silk and Cashmere since at least September, and I finally decided to splurge with the GC. Once I had made my decision I was totally paranoid that I would go and the coveted skeins would be gone... but...



I GOT IT!!! It felt like adoption at cash -- everyone was happy for me, happy that the cashmere had found a good home, just happy.

Monday I had plans with several different friends in the city, and one by one through the afternoon, they all cancelled on me. What's a girl to do???

A little sock accident at LK. I realized that I have almost no sock yarn in any light colours, and what if I want to make something with a complicated pattern? When dark yarn just won't do?



Problem solved. Plus I've never used Lorna's Laces, and y'all just keep sayin' how nice it is. And this Sea Wool is very special... I have to show you the socks I've been working on. Next time...

Have a good weekend! I'll be knitting.

8 Comments:

At 11:13 a.m., Blogger Andrea said...

Ohhh... nice Lorna's Laces. I like those colours. And congrats on the cashmere.

I unforentently have to go to LK later today to picked up the skein of STR that I called for the other day. Too bad, eh?

 
At 11:29 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwww...congrats on the cashmere!!!

 
At 3:44 p.m., Blogger Karen said...

mmmmm, cashmere. I just bought my first Lorna's Laces, too. Can't wait to try it.

 
At 3:55 p.m., Blogger Ellie said...

My shopping trip this afternoon wasn't cashmere fruitful, but I got some pretty wool for a scarf. I'm interested in how the Lorna's Laces turns out for you - they sell it down near my new apartment.

Happy Saturday :-)

 
At 8:37 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

Your mom looks very proud. I love the bunny prints and your yarn purchases look divine. Sounds like a nice weekend.

 
At 11:40 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoyed our 'sock' time together Kate.
Your patience & my determination to learn how to make socks resulted in my completing a sock.
I am knitting on my second sock and hopefully I will be able to remember how to do it without having you close at hand.Can I have a lifeline for $100.00 please;just in case I get stuck?
xo, MOM
Loved your new wool purchases.

 
At 12:54 p.m., Blogger Liz said...

Ohhhhh, Lorna's Laces. LOVE them. Am having issues deciding between that and STR. And it's hurting my brain. Can you have two favorites?

You have a pretty mom, who knitted a pretty sock!

 
At 7:08 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loving your blog! Congrats about the cashmere... and... while we're on the subject, I've just bought a couple of 100% cashmere crochet corsages from cashmere mail order and online company Pure Collection. They make really lovely additions to a merino wool jumper I've just finished knitting!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home