Friday, March 03, 2006

Getting Started

I'm new at this blogging thing... I'll post some pics and projects soon, but I thought I'd start with a quotation that's always made me think of knitting.

What is the dimension of a ball of twine? It depends on your point of view. From a great distance, the ball is no more that a point, with zero dimensions. From closer, the ball is seen to fill spherical space, taking up three dimensions. From closer still, the twine comes into view, and the object becomes effectively one-dimensional, though the one dimension is certainly tangled up around itself in a way that makes use of three-dimensional space.
- Benoit Mandelbrot

Well, I'm guessing that Benoit was NOT a knitter. If he were, he would realize that from closer still (like while still browsing your stash or the LYS), a knitter can see all the potential of that ball of "twine". And with a little love and attention it can be knit into something really, really special. It all depends on your point of view.

2 Comments:

At 8:04 p.m., Blogger froggiemeanie said...

Welcome to blogging! I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Thanks for coming to visit me at Froggie Meanie. I always love new visitors (and new comments!).

 
At 2:51 a.m., Blogger Cristina said...

Hi there! Welcome to the Blogging world! It's sooo much fun once you get into it and get to know some of the people you follow (you might even meet a few in person!). I've made great friends through blogging and I'm sure you will too. BTW...you might want to get involved in some of the swaps...they're REALLY cool!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home